Thursday, October 08, 2009

Skunk Skulls, Skinny's, Doilies and Snow

Share --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our first snowfall arrived late yesterday and since I haven't hooked up the heat in my studio, the weather provided me with a perfect opportunity to begin to sew some of the Skinny Pages I've been working on digitally and blogging about. I've also started to work on an Eleanor art pillow, or is it a wall hanging, or a quilt? She hasn't told me yet which it will be. Despite the cool temperatures, the sun shone in, and the variety of textile textures, colors of sepia, aqua and varying shades of green inspired me to capture a few photos to share along with a reminder of how good life is. I also captured a couple of snapshots of my latest acquisition - a skunk skull. It is a treasure.... though I may be among a small group of people who might consider it so. Try to say skunk skull out loud 3 times in a row. I did, and I ended up sounding like what I imagine a skunk may snort like! Go ahead, try it....you know you want to! Boo-ha. Fun wasn't it? This latest project has also given me just cause to finally work with several hand dyed doilies and one of a kind pieces of fabric designed by Lorraine of Creative Daily. She surprised me with these for my birthday and I've been looking forward to figuring out a way to use them. The aquas, greens and turquoises as well as the black and white cotton fabrics of letters and clocks and beautiful script are all Lorraine's. I am hoping she will soon open up a shop of some sort so I might buy more...and more.

7 comments:

Bea said...

SNOW! SNOW????? Did you say the S word. Sshhhhhhhhhhhhh snow, oh my. NOT ready for that. WHEREEVER YOU ARE YOU CAN KEEP THAT THERE, RIGHT THERE.
Now, on to the wonderful colors on your work table. Oooooooooooooooh aaaaaaaaaaaaaah I love them. What fun to play with printed fabric and yarns and colorful lace and ribbons. I was thinking she would almost make a perfect pillow doll for my couch. ahem....I gave it a shot. :)Bea

Terri Daugherty said...

did you say snow? oh no, not already! i love snow but HATE the mess it makes especially on my kitchen floor. i just wanted to say how much i enjoyed looking at your photos today. the colors are so scrumptious and i know this is going to be a beautiful project when you finish. i didn't know you would be transfering the digital images onto fabric (i must have missed it when i was reading your blog post) but that is so darn clever. i've heard of "memory quilts" with old photos of family members but this is just too cool. can't wait to see the finished project!

Yvonne said...

Snow? We're still in the 90's most days, but suupposed to get a front and will be in the 70's this weekend. Yes, fall will be here again for a few days. Love the colors you are working with and love the skull too.

layers said...

I think that skunk skull would make a nice addition to my own animal skull collection--- looks a bit lonely there

Lorraine said...

Snow - yikes! I am really looking forward to seeing how these progress - they all look lovely so far! I'm so glad you are "using" the goodies - that is what they are for!!! I love that little pin cushion in the photo. Must admit, my space is much messier when I'm creating....

layers said...

You are really showing off your skunk skull! I still think it would look good in my collection :-)

Caterina Giglio said...

snow here in colorado and today as well, not ready for being bundled in the studio!! your work is awesome!