Sunday, June 06, 2010

Mermaid Skinny Pages for Cat

Share --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another project completed  and almost ready for the mail.  All that's left is for me to complete a written portion that I will enclose this time inside of the actual two pages.

  I have left one of the short sides open as, when they are sewn together with one side open, there is  a nice deep pocket and I thought it would be fun to have a secret little 'envelope' to add a few thoughts in it...fun for those exploring it in the years that come.

 Grandchildren maybe, or who knows where these little pieces of art I send out into the world will end up when I'm long gone...I often wonder if they'll end up at flea markets or garage sales or estate sales.... all of these altered books we collect over the years.

 I know I'll be sharing them as magical little parcels of wonder with my grandchildren and passing them onto my daughters when I leave.

The woman I am sending this to is a sweetheart, and was my truly secret santa this past Christmas.  She sent me a beautiful book of Maggie Taylor's whimsically beautiful art, gift wrapped equally as special.  I don't know if she fully realizes what a gift she gave me when it arrived ...  a memory I will treasure for a lifetime.

  It was a wonderful surprise.  So,  I've been looking forward to the month in our project that was the time for me to create a page for her.  Her name is Cat and her blog is http://www.catworx.blogspot.com/


Image Credits and the before photos can be found here

18 comments:

creativelenna said...

Trudi, this is an absolutely *stunning* skinny book page for Cat! So funny, my skinny page for her used one of the same mermaid images, but from another source and it looks so different . . . looking at your page I admire all your workmanship and obvious talent. Beautiful stitching and composition. I know cat will love this!!

Anji Johnston said...

You are an absolute genius! Your work is so impeccably created I am constantly inspired by you! This piece is exceptional. Have a great Sunday!

barbara said...

this is STUNNING....i would like to know more about your technique. do you have a shop? or and online link that i could purchase something like this?

studio pashnada said...

these are absolutely beautiful
will she bind all of these when she has them all?

Seth said...

These are sensational. She will love them!!

Unknown said...

These are truly amazing... You are so talented!

Terri Kahrs said...

I'm swooning with delight, Trudi! These are sensational and Cat will treasure them always. How could she NOT?!?!? Your handwork is exquisite, and I adore the way you've added that little beaded and embroidered 'heart' in the corner of the 2nd piece. Your attention to detail makes your work sooooo special! Hugs, Terri xoxo

Becca said...

Oh my Trudi! That is an absolutely stunning piece! I'm sure Cat will be honored to receive it. I really admire your art, especially your fabric art! I must keep practicing! :-) Thank you for being an inspiration to me!

Bea said...

I love this skinny page. I had to go check out Cat's blog because I could swear I used to trade with a Cat back in one of the old Yahoo groups. Anyway, I love, love, love the mermaid. :)Bea

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

You are a magician my dear...these are so wonderful...who does not love Boticelli? (spelling is fleeing my memory right now) This work is spectacular! Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Debby said...

WOW GIRL. these pages for Cat are amazing. I love your work and I have to say these are some of my fav. Totally gorgeous.
Debby

Lori said...

Good grief, these are exquisite. The attention to detail is astounding, just beautiful work.

Viola said...

Stunning, stunning, stunning!! :o)

Lorraine said...

Lovely! I love the idea of a pocket to hold a hidden treasure...

Michele Jackson said...

Beautiful work! You make me want to pull out my sewing machine again.

Kim Palmer said...

These skinny's are just beautiful Trudi, haven't they worked out well. A gift of a Maggie Taylor book was a real gift indeed, her art is amazing!

catworx said...

WOW!!! Oh my!!!! Why did I wait so long to visit your blog again (OK, life :D) but OMG, I am in heaven about these pages, they are so...well, me! And how well you know me too, dear friend!!! And who knew that there is a secret pocket...how delightful is that!!!

And thank you for the sweet comments & a link to my blog...I loved playing secret santa for you!!!

I can't wait to hold these in my eager little hands & marvel over your eye for composition, use of color & attention to details!!!

Thank you again, your art always inspires!!!

Elizabeth Golden said...

These are amazing!