Saturday, November 14, 2009

Finding JOY - The Giving Tree

Share --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yesterday, I was invited to participate in a Secret Santa.  I hesitated.  Last year my daughter was hospitalized over the season, and this year my father-in-law will be as he is losing a battle with cancer.  I realized for me, this season accentuates emotions, both of joy and of sorrow.  My Mom also passed away on December 1st, 2000.  I still can't believe she's been gone that long.  So, my reaction to this invitation initially was one of sadness.  Until,  I brought forward a memory of my Mother-in-law who for me, embodied the spirit of the season and the joy of giving.  I decided I owed it to her and to myself to focus on continuing her legacy hoping I may infect my own family and friends...and even perhaps YOU.  Because....happiness is a choice we make every moment.   

Thinking of both my Mom and my Mother-in-law, I was  reminded of Shel Silverstein's book "The Giving Tree".  I decided to then create my own "giving tree " as a way to pay tribute to my DECISION TO EXPERIENCE JOY and to my special angel "Mom's". 


Please take this little collage sheet I made with the wish that you TOO will find some JOY that I believe this season was intended to bring.   LEFT CLICK on the tree top star to enlarge the image, and then RIGHT CLICK "SAVE AS."

Oh- I think I'm catching the spirit!  Are you?  Here's another one (they are folded 'baby joy cards') :




14 comments:

layers said...

Looks like you are going to have one of those happy-sad holiday seasons--often the case with life and family. But also looks like you are going to remember traditions and happier times as well.

.Trudi Sissons said...

Actually, yes and no, but maybe the intent of my post didn't translate that well.
I think that joy is a choice we make every moment and that in 'giving' to others, it becomes an easier choice to make.
So, I've decided to choose JOY.

:0) Thanks for your comment Donna!

Debby said...

Thanks sweetie, love your trees and hoping your holiday turns out as wonderful as you!
Hugs,
Debby

Leslie Avon Miller said...

I find my thoughts drifting to my Mom and Gram and others now gone...that's why I painted my bone prayer paintings. I poured out all the gratitude I had for them in those pieces. It really made a difference to say what I needed to say to them in that work, covered with layers of paint and textures and marks.
I like your decision to be happy. We have this beautiful day on the planet, and it is a gift.
And thank you for the gift of the giving tree Trudi. Joy of Creativeness to you!

Zoe, ontheroad said...

Thanks for the wonderful reminder, "joy is a choice."

bockel24 said...

Your trees are great, Trudi! Hope you´ll have a better time this year.

Glamour Bomb said...

Thank you so much for sharing with us your work. Moreover, your positive thinking is an example for me to reframe my personal sorrows that this time of year evokes. As the days grow shorter you have -- as the Bhuddha advised -- made of yourself a light. May this spark of light spread throughout the season and may others be warmed by its flames. I am inspired me to pass your spirit of generosity to all I encounter. Namaste.

Bea said...

You go girl! I'm so glad you are choosing to embrace JOY. And, look how it reflected in your generous offering to all of us.((((big hug)))) :)Bea

Caterina Giglio said...

you are awesome what a great giveaway and I caught your pos vibe! thanks!

Terri Kahrs said...

Trudi, I'm happy that you've chosen joy - I'm sure your Mother-in-law is smiling at your choice. Thank you for the gift of YOU, and the gift of your indomitable spirit. You've brought a little joy to a lot of people with your sweet and thoughtful gift. Blessings & Peace, Terri xoxo

Lorraine said...

This is a touching tribute to both "Mom's" at this special time of year. Christmas is my most favourite time of the year - the sights, sounds, smells, and most importantly the many fond memories I treasure. I was thinking about my Mom this weekend as I've been decorating - our favourite time of the year. She's been gone for 23 years. I choose JOY too! So, am going to go make something with your "giving tree" - what fun.... Thanks girlfriend...

Laura Haviland said...

Thank you Trudi your an angel.
Hugs, Laura.

Connie said...

Thanks for sharing these, Trudi. Beautiful trees! Joy is a choice. : ) connie

Elizabeth Golden said...

I can see the Joy in all your work. Thank you for the reminder that only we can find our own Joy.
The tags are lovely and I plan on using them all!