Sunday, December 13, 2009

From old family photo to a "Pillow- Cloth Sachet" - a gift for my Aunt Doris

Share --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Aunt Doris was recently moved from her home to an assisted living facility and I decided I wanted to make something special for her new 'home.'  I found this old photograph taken in 1930 of my Mom and her 5 siblings. 


I scanned it into my laptop and altered it, taking away much of the background and digitally added the colors.  My Aunt Doris is now dressed in pink, next to my Mom in yellow. They were 2 years apart in age, and always very close.


Here it is printed out onto cloth, machine stitched, embroidered  and several different dimensional elements added to it, buttons, beads and charms.  I recently received a huge parcel of antique laces from Hermine who was kind enough to 'shop for me' when she attended a recent annual antique sale in The Netherlands.   The cream thin lace is part of the great stash I have now.   Thanks Hermine - you can see I've already found a use for a bit of it!

Below, you can see Uncle Fred (the baby and only boy   in the family) being held by Aunt Jeannette (the eldest ) and my Aunt Kay.



This photo was taken about 3 years before their father died and my grandmother raised all of her six children plus adopted another son (not in this photo) The sixth sister in the teal coat, is Aunt Gladys.  Our extended family would spend Thanksgiving at her home in the country each year.  It was a big celebration - 26 in total   divided equally between adults and children.



I added what I thought was a perfect quote "The love of a family is life's greatest blessing."


 

Since my cousin told me they had decorated my Aunt Doris's new home in blues and chocolate brown, I found some left over fabric from another project to compliment her decor.  It is a sweet size - about 9 inches square, but I lined it in the same fabric and added snaps so that she can also use it as a cloth sachet if she doesn't want it as a toss cushion.





Here it is pictured without the pillow stuffing inside.


I am excited to pay her a visit this holiday season and hope that the photograph which she may not have seen for 40-50 years, may bring back warm memories of her sisters and brother who I know all have a very special spot in her heart.  She is the only one left.



24 comments:

kate i said...

Trudi, I absolutely adore this wonderful gift that you've made for your aunt. It's obvious how much love went into it's creation and I'm sure it will be treasured and proudly displayed in her new home.

Well done!

layers said...

my gosh Trudi, I am beginning to think you can do.. and are good at doing everything-- and you seem to have so much completed work no matter what it is.. it is amazing how you can alter a photograph and make it into such a wonderful meaningful gift.

Lindart said...

Wow! This is truly beautiful! Your Aunt will love it I'm sure. It will surely be a family heirloom for many many years! You are very talented - I love all the add-ons!

Unknown said...

Your photo pillow is such a sweet sentiment! What a lovely and thoughtful gift! I'm sure your Aunt will love it!

The laces are a lovely bobbin lace. They could be handmade or machine made since they make some lovely machine made bobbin lace these days. Chances are your sweet friend (or relative?) who brought you the lace was told it was tatting from the seller. I often see handmade laces mislabelled as tatting and often see tatting mislabelled as crochet by the antique venders when I go shopping for vintage linens! If you want to know more about tatting you are more than welcome to stop by my blog. There are lots of tatting links to websites and blogs on my sidebar! Hope you are having a good week! :)

Terri Kahrs said...

Ohhhh, Trudi . . . . the greatest gift we can give is love given freely from the heart. Your Aunt Doris will LOVE this supremely thoughtful gift made with love and family memories. How very special! I'm sure she'll treasure it. It's magnificent! Holiday Hugs, Terri xoxo

Zoe, ontheroad said...

Impressed with the entire project--the thoughtfulness and the creativity.

Terri Daugherty said...

what a beautiful and sweet thing for you to do for your aunt doris. it will make her smile everytime she looks at it!

Odd Chick said...

This is incredibly beautiful and thoughtful and a deep and lovely tribute that will be an heirloom for ages to come.

Caterina Giglio said...

what a lovely gift for your Auntie, I think this is so beautiful both the pillow and the sentiment. I bet you can hardly stand the wait to give it to her!

The Artist Within Us said...

Family, without its support and love we would be adrift. Family is the one thing that is the most important element in our lives.

Your pillow is absolutely magnificent and it is filled with love that is over flowing.

Warmest regards this holiday season,
Egmont

Lisa Holtzman said...

FABULOUS Trudi!!!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely fantastic!

Unknown said...

Trudi, this is a beautiful holiday gift for your Aunt Doris. She will probably be overwhelmed by the delight of seeing her siblings and herself in younger happy times and in full color! What a blessing you have given of yourself in this amazing gift.

Lorraine said...

This turned out really beautiful T. I find I am really beginning to like turquoise A LOT!

creativelenna said...

Trudi, this pillow is very special indeed. I especially love how you took us through your process. thank you! I think your Aunt will really treasure it. lenna ;)

Deirdre said...

I haven't had a chance to stop by recently - this piece is destined to be a true family heirloom! OUTSTANDING!

Yuletide Greetings!
:-D eirdre

carylsrealm said...

Wow! This is so gorgeous!

Marilyn said...

This is such a special gift for your aunt! I'm sure she will cherish it and the memories. I really like the way you stithed the lace and your sentiment.

rivergardenstudio said...

This is an amazing work of art, so filled with love, it glows... she will love it! Have a beautiful week. Roxanne

bockel24 said...

What an absolutely wonderful project!!

Viola said...

WOW, fantastic piece, Trudi! You did a great job!!! :)

Elizabeth Golden said...

Simply beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Trudi
This is the greatest gift you can give. I am sure she treasures it.
You inspire me!

LindaT.

BumbleVee said...

what a beautiful gift for your Auntie..... I bet she loves it....

The colours are great....