Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Full Steam Ahead! STEAM PUNKED WEEK at Two Dresses Studio

Share --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About ten days ago, Evelyn the designer behind Finecrafted Designs released FULL STEAM AHEAD and  what I discovered, hands down, to be   the best selection and quality of steampunk images I've seen to date.

 Working on a creative team can be both challenging and rewarding.    One of the common requirements is to compose a digital illustration using 90% of the images  provided in the composition.  Afterall, these creations  are in essence 'advertisements' or 'examples' to entice customers to buy the package.  If the set of images is lacking in variety or congruency, or doesn't tickle your creative bone, it can be much the same experience as 'shopping for a bathing suit', trying on one after the other without success.   The other obstacle is meeting a deadline which I've experienced as being less than a day to as long as two weeks.  Luckily, there was plenty of time for this delightful assortment to reach my muse.

B U T , on the other hand,
one of the perks  of being on a creative team  is  the images come without a price tag along with the opportunity to get to know a slew of talented and fun fellow team artists from every corner of the world!  They are also great catalysts for pushing your own 'creative envelope' and giving me, personally, a reason to successfully avoid my to do list, yet again. 

The second image below became one of my favorites, maybe because of the fond memories it brought to the surface recalling the years of listening to the music of Elton John.  It also lent itself to two new skills I have been practicing:  digitally tint black and white images and applying overlays of color or texture (see example)  As you can see the male figure was originally black and white, the sky sepia and the river and foreground more monochromatic.

Example - doesn't he look better in color?
(*Please note, all images are saved at approximately 2 inches x 2 inches to discourage piracy!)




~RocketMan~
digital illustration  8x8 inches

Image Credits:  Finecrafted Studios - Full Steam Ahead - DeviantScrap.com



Rocketman
Music by Elton John
Lyrics by Bernie Taupin
Album -   Honky Château

She packed my bags last night pre-flight
Zero hour nine a.m.
And I’m gonna be high as a kite by then
I miss the earth so much I miss my wife
It’s lonely out in space
On such a timeless flight

And I think it’s gonna be a long long time
Till touch down brings me round again to find
I’m not the man they think I am at home
Oh no no no I’m a rocket man
Rocket man burning out his fuse up here alone
Mars ain’t the kind of place to raise your kids
In fact it’s cold as hell
And there’s no one there to raise them if you did
And all this science I don’t understand
It’s just my job five days a week
A rocket man, a rocket man.

Click on here to be transported to the original soundtrack!




I  like to save the best for last.   Finecrafted Designs has also offered a 100% Free Package  for anyone interested, including, but not limited to these two great vintage  typewriters. Included are 10 elements and 3 beautiful backgrounds (Click on one of the typewriter keys to access the free offer)








Thanks for reading!  Stay tuned for more Steam Punking examples later this week. 



 



3 comments:

Lorraine said...

Will have to check this out. Haven't done much with steampunk yet.

Terri Kahrs said...

Fantastic fun, Trudi! Amazing what the addition of a little color can do!!!! I'm off to check out that kit now! Hugs, Terri xoxo

Cathy said...

So cool....love your punkery, it definitely has your touch on it!!!