Saturday, December 04, 2010

The Butterfly Effect - Update #13 including Announcement of Winner

Share --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to begin this weeks update sharing first some information I gathered this week.

On Wednesday afternoon, I received an extraordinarily heartfelt butterfly along with a note from Joyce Van Der Lely from Christchurch, New Zealand. In it she spoke of her personal experiences growing up in Holland so close to the Holocaust and described later her visit  she made to Yad Vashem located in Jerusalem, Israel.  A description of this museum from the website -

"As the Jewish people’s living memorial to the Holocaust, Yad Vashem safeguards the memory of the past and imparts its meaning for future generations. Established in 1953, as the world center for documentation, research, education and commemoration of the Holocaust, Yad Vashem is today a dynamic and vital place of intergenerational and international encounter. "

Joyce's  note lead me to explore this museum on -linewhere I found this short video featuring the art of Holocaust survivors, spanning 60 years.  I hope you find it as compelling and emotionally powerful as I have. Thank you Joyce.







This week, 13 butterflies arrived, each one bringing its  own unique blend of creativity and compassion. The artists who contributed and who I wish to again thank are -

 Kathleen Legg
 Lynne Hunter-Johnson
Joyce Van Der Lely
Gail Whitter
 Faye Hoover
 Margaret Beck
 Betsy Harding

From rose petals, to graphite drawings, zen tangles, mixed media fibers, sewing,  encaustics and hand dyed natural papers, please take a moment to visit the individual blogs listed below.








 Joyce Van Der Lely
Christchurch, New Zealand








KATHLEEN LEGG
Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada








LYNNE HUNTER-JOHNSON
Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada





GAIL WHITTER
Trail, British Columbia, Canada


MARGARET BECK
Waterford, New York, USA



FAYE HOOVER
Virginia, USA






BETSY HARDING
Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania, USA


On to the draw - As many of you know, the Holocaust Museum Houston based its exhibit on the book I Never Saw Another Butterfly.  I ordered two copies of this book soon after I began our project here, one to read, and one to give away to one of the participants.  I asked my friend Linda to choose a number between 1 and 89 yesterday and used this number (43) to choose the winner of the book.



Sharne Gregory's butterfly was Number 43. 
 I will be mailing out the book early next week Sharne. Here is her winning butterfly -


Sharne Gregory
Essex, England, UK


Please stay tuned for next weeks announcement of a new draw plus other exciting news!  And there is still over a year to participate!  For more information on how to participate,  please click on the Butterfly Effect tab above.




10 comments:

Debby said...

Trudi, they are all just stunning. WOW!! This project is amazing.
Debby

Kathy said...

These are one of my favorite blog posts. I just love seeing what everyone is doing. Beautiful. Truly, truly beautiful and heart warming. - Cheers - Kathy

Linda M. said...

Trudi, I am amazed each time, so many beautiful ideas.

Taluula said...

The butterflies just get more and more wonderful. Thank you.

abby j said...

They're so beautiful, Trudi...I'm inspired to do more AND I WILL! It's wonderful that you took on this task...the video,btw, is sobering and done so well... worth watching!

Hugs,
Abby

Thmini2 said...

The butterflies are wonderful! There is such a variety!
I watched the video and some of the other ones that were posted along with it. My DH asked me if I had Jewish people in my background. If that is why I am so interested in this. No I don't, I just think it is so unbelievable what people can do to each other! And it still continues to this day, all around the world.
Have you ever read Sarah's Key? I never realized that Jewish people were brought in from other countries also, not just Germany. Sorry to make this so long!

Cathy said...

What beautiful art, everyone should be so proud of their contributions!

Terri Kahrs said...

Another fabulous assortment, Trudi! Each time you post the week's assortment, I immerse myself in the beautiful details of each butterfly and how singularly magnificent each is. Hugs, Teri xoxo

Katie said...

Wow! Isn't it amazing how a single shape can all be interpreted and made so differently. As i scrolled down I was newly amazed by each one!

Seth said...

The creativity of all the submissions continues to amaze me.